I'm Chris Govias – a designer recently returned to Canada after spending the past decade in London, UK. When I'm not designing or taking photos, I'm probably sketching or drawing letters, monkeys, and the odd comic.
My work has appeared in Smithsonian Cooper-Hewitt Design, Applied Arts and Communication Arts magazines. I think that’s pretty neat.
In the UK, I was the Head of Design for the Ministry of Justice, where I led a team of service, interaction, and user experience designers to deliver transformative, user-centred government services. I'm delighted to have returned to Canada and become the first Chief of Design with the Canadian Digital Service. As with most types of design, it meant spending a lot of time thinking about users and trying to make everything simpler, easier and more enjoyable to use.
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Code for America Summit, Oakland, USA (2018)
- WAQ, Québec City, Canada (2018)
- DesignX, Toronto, Canada (2017)
- UXPA Toronto, Toronto, Canada (2017)
- CanUX, Ottawa, Canada (2017)
- Government Service Design, Sheffield, UK (2017)
- Design in Government, London, UK (2016)
- Design+Banter, London, UK (2014)
- Expedia Summer Symposium, London, UK (2013)
- 3 Mobile
- American Express
- The Environmental Agency
- Royal Mail
- Toronto International Film Festival